Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Brigham's Memorial - Life Sketch by Madeline Skillings


The Life Sketch of Brigham Reneer

By: Madeline Skillings

On November 18, 1994 in the Utah Valley Hospital, God gave life to one of his mighty spirits. He put this precious soul into the loving arms of Julie and Randall Reneer, trusting them, and knowing that they would love this boy whole-heartedly to the very end.

Holding their baby, fresh out of Heaven, for the first time, I don’t think they knew yet that they had taken the first steps on a journey that would change them forever. This meek and gentle baby would soon become a teacher and a shepherd to all who would come in contact with him.

Brigham James Reneer was indeed a beautiful baby with hope for a bright future, and a tragic secret hidden inside. He was a big boy with big, strong hands. Upon seeing those big hands, my mom Jen said, “he looks like he should build fences or something.”

For the first 3 years of his life, Brigham had a lot of fun, but those who knew him best knew he was different. He was big and rambunctious, though he had a definite heart of pure tenderness. 1997 was the year that Brigham faced the start of many challenges. Just after his third birthday, he became very sick. When Julie brought him to the doctor, the doctor knew something was very wrong. He was diagnosed with Leukemia and immediately started intense treatment. It didn’t stop there. A few days later he was diagnosed with Hunter’s Syndrome, which foretold of a limited future and an awful fate. This disease set to work, ever so slowly changing his body and his mind as he grew. I was only approaching my fourth birthday, but I still can remember my little buddy with tubes and needles in him. I hated how I wasn’t allowed to be close to him. I would later come to an understanding of his sickness and grow to realize how special he was, but as a young child I was content with seeing him as a normal friend to play with.

Brigham was a very happy boy, and he dove into life with an energy that wasn’t to be expected from someone who knew tremendous suffering at such a young age.

Throughout his lifetime, Brigham’s frequent topic of conversation with me was regarding my 4th birthday party. It was a “Madeline” theme and Brigham was such a good sport, as he was the only boy there. On the first powerful swing, he had busted my Madeline Hat piñata, to the amusement of the adults who subsequently had to repair the piñata so that I would stop crying and the rest of us could swing at it. Brigham was also happy to wear a big Madeline hat and help me blow out my candles. For years afterwards, he would bring up the same conversation that I never got sick of. He would say, “Maddie, you have your Madeline party?” and I would go through the same discussion, confirming my piñata and that Pepito was there (who was really Brigham) and Madeline (who was really me). It was interesting to see the different memories that would be locked in Brigham’s head for his

entire life.

At his fifth birthday party, the whole fire station took part in making his day memorable. He was a fireman for a day! He got to ride in the big, red fire truck, take a helicopter ride, wear real firemen clothes, and have a party with his friends and family at the station. There was even a newspaper article to be found afterwards in the daily paper about his blissful day.

The next year when he was six, Brigham conveyed manifestly to his parents that he wanted to be a missionary. On February 4, 2001 he was called to serve as a stake youth missionary. He got all that he needed; the black suit, a fresh set of scriptures, and his own personal missionary tag. Traveling to primaries and other organizations, he would tell the story of the Savior’s life and testify of Christ. One time he came to my church, and his simple and sincere testimony was the most inspiring thing to hear. Brigham’s missionary experience didn’t just satisfy his desires; it really did leave a permanent impression on all who listened. It was one of the many times I sat and marveled at that boy. The way he plainly stated his belief in the Savior made it seem easy to forget all doubts, and share his innocent faith.

These were exciting years for Brig. In the year of 2001, the Make A Wish foundation granted him the wish of a Tarzan tree house, complete with a dream backyard. The big tree house that sits in Disneyland inspired his family. After Grandpa Jim designed the structure, Brigham diligently helped the building of his big fort. He loved the bustle of men working together in making his wish come true. When it was finished, Tarzan himself came to the backyard and tested out the jungle with Brigham right by his side, just beaming with excitement. For the remainder of his life, there was a fondness in his heart for his special backyard and the animals that sit there today.

Growing up with Brigham was an exciting adventure. He was always finding ways to have fun and getting everyone involved. From fishing to riding his four-wheeler, he loved to be outside and enjoy nature. He also shared my love of animals, and I can remember arguing with him about the different stuffed animals of his that we both wanted to play with at the same time. We were normal, happy kids. I knew he was different but I liked him the way he was and whenever he was happy, the whole room felt different. Brigham’s laugh will always be the best sound in the world. He would get the biggest kick out of me pretending to cower and squeal at the sight of an imaginary monster, but he would always come to my rescue and shoot the enemy before I was eaten. I was safe with Brig close at hand.

At 8 years of age, Brigham had his own desire to be baptized as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Having lived a spotless life, and unable to ever commit a sin, baptism was unnecessary to secure a place in Heaven for him. However, Brigham’s pure heart and desire to be like Jesus made him want to get baptized and follow the example of his cousins. This example of faith alone helped build my testimony, as this was a little boy who didn’t need to be baptized, but did so anyway.

Randy, Julie, and Brigham practiced the procedure of baptizing in their backyard hot tub.

On November 22, 2002 the day of his baptism, Julie was also dressed in baptismal clothing in case she had to join Randy and Brigham in the font.

As Brigham entered through the door in his baptism clothes, the spirit flooded the room and all who watched felt something special. As he stepped into the water, his countenance was glowing, almost as if we were all seeing his true spirit shining through. He was entirely Brigham, and seeing the radiance on his little face was an experience nobody there can ever forget. Julie never needed to go into the water with him, as he was calm and composed. Brigham’s baptism was a day when the sweet love for Christ in a little boy touched the hearts of his friends and family.

Sleepovers at the Reneer’s house will always be memories that I treasure. Brig made sure I was secure with the blanket fastened over my head, before burrowing deep into me on my pillow and saying, “under here”. Even under the intense heat from his big, cuddly body, I would hold him and thank my Father in Heaven for letting me love this boy so much. I knew somewhere inside that these moments would be something I’d miss later on.

I know that a part of Brigham’s heart will always be in the happiest place on Earth. Out of all his vacations, it was obvious that he was most happy in Disney World and Disneyland with his amazing parents and his best friend, Emily. That was his world. He could make fantasies come alive and put meaning into each story. The characters were real to him, and those were heroes that never let him down. Brigham loved heroes like Peter Pan, Hercules, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Tarzan, and many more. They were brave and different like him. He must’ve seen himself in them, for he could always be heard from somewhere in the house jubilantly yelling his name to the T.V. Nobody can deny that his outbursts of yelling were so entertaining to be a part of. Out of all his sayings he would repeat for a while, my favorite has always been “in the neighborhood.” It was just always so unexpected and funny to hear.

Even near the end of his life when his health was speedily digressing, he still found joy and a reason to be happy. He will always be the strongest, bravest spirit I know.

Brigham Reneer was sent in to my life with a purpose, as I know he was sent into all of yours. He was my support, my example, my comfort, and the anchor that kept me centered as my life all too quickly changed from childhood to young adulthood. While I transformed into a moody, confused teenage girl, he stayed as my constant light, the one who never judged me and loved me despite all my faults. This light of his opened my eyes to a new understanding of life and I will always be grateful to him for that. I will never find a friend like him again in this life, but he is mine forever to keep in my heart and watch over me. I will try and make Brigham proud by keeping his memory close and trying to live like he did. Brigham taught me to believe in fairytales and dream as big as my heart wishes.

*Read 2Tim 4:5-8

*Bear testimony

END!

No comments: